Falcon Original vs Falcon Bucoo both 7" heavy

rods,reels, line, baits, etc. What works for you?

Moderators: HERZOG, RedHook, FooeyFish

Postby Trimmer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:00 am

Thought I would do a little night fishing on LA last night. I decided to rig one of my Falcon Originals with the same heavy braid and reel as I had on my Bucoo from the Bastrop event for the frog bite. I set them both up with a smaller hook and a 3/16th weight for T-rigging. Probably too much rod for finesse fishing but wanted to test the sensitivity. I was catching plenty of fish on the Bucoo from 7" up to 17" with plenty of feel and not too many lost fish. I was using a baby Brushhog. I could cast the small bait as far as I needed and felt good contact with the bottom. When I witched to the Original, it was like I picked up a broom stick. My hookup ratio was reversed. I lost more fish than I caught. I could cast it as well and had good feel but the rod tip was a lot stiffer and I seemed to rip the bait away from the fish. I had to really dial back on the drag to get hooksets. Switched back to the Bucoo and it was like going to a Cara T7. Lighter and more responsive. Felt better in my hand. More hookups and a little more feel to this rod. It kind of ruined me on the Originals for T-rigging. I'll have to set them aside for C-rigs or something else. The price difference online is only about 20 bucks. At Academy the Bucoos sell for around 110 to 129. They go for less at Tackle Warehouse. Way worth the price difference over the Originals if you cant afford the Cara's. Plus the Bucoo has micro guides and a split grip. It would probably be better to test the Bucoo with the T7 next time. You cant beat the cool flat black finsh either. I picked up a new Quantum Smoke online with some of the Bastrop winnings. Looks like this rod has a new partner.
Trimmer
2010 KATS Angler of the Year

Re: Falcon Original vs Falcon Bucoo both 7" heavy

Postby HERZOG » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:14 am

You're going to like that smoke. It's a nice reel. Small profile so it fits well in the hand and cast a mile.
2013 KATS Classic Champion
2013 KBF Texas Open Champion

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

HERZOG
2013 KATS Classic Champion

Postby ChrisCoufal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:49 pm

I have a 7' Cara T7 and I love it. I'm selling off a few of my Falcons to pick up some better rods.
ChrisCoufal
2011 KATS Supporting Member

Postby Plastic Skipper » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:07 pm

How does that quantum smoke stack up against the revo permiers and the revo SXs? I have a new custom rod coming soon that is mat black with gloss black threads that the smoke would look SWEET on. I do like the weight of the smoke but I want to know what I am getting in to.
Native Watercraft
Bending Branches
Plastic Skipper
State of Texas kayak fisherman

Postby Trimmer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:31 pm

The Smoke should be here tomorrow. Ive never used Shimanos or Revos. I did compare all of them at Cabellas and I have to say the Shimano felt cheep but I know many use and love them. The Revo I looked at was a bit big. The smoke was almost stealth black and small. It felt light and mechanicaly bettter next to others in the same price range. Its hard to compare in the store because alot of those get abused on the display. The rest of my Quantums I use are either the Codes or PT Energy. No problem with them so far. The codes come in under 100 and I've been winning them on ebay for 50 to 60 bucks new. More of a middle of the road reel but they've kept me in the money the past couple of years. The PT Energys are closer to 200. Can't honestly tell you they're better than the Codes. I'll let you know how the Smoke does once I get it.
Trimmer

Postby Trimmer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:32 pm

I rigged up the new Smoke on a Falcon Bucoo MH 6-10 micro rod with 20lb braid along with a 3/16th oz weight and a Gammy 3/0 hook for t rigging. Right out of the box that reel casts a country mile. Not one backlash even when I was trying. Its the lightest reel I have out of all my baitcasters. Feels really balanced with that rod. Looks great in the flat black finish as well. I fished until 12:30 on LA friday night. The bite was slow until it got late. I picked up a few 2 lb fish and then finally a 4lbr. Then I toss the brushhog over a log in the reeds and this monster took it and jumped 2 ft straight in the air and made a massive splash. It tugged a few times and then came off as I tried to set the hook over the log. It looked good in the moon light. I must have more of those reels. My plan is to use that as my motivation to do my best to get in the money each event in the upcoming KATS season. I need about 4 more of these Smokes.
Trimmer

Postby NativeTexan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:44 am

Oh no, he is already spending winning money he has not won yet! Looks like we are in for a long KATS season. [smilie=doh.gif]
Mark Nordstrom - Team Papa Chops
2013 Hobie PA12 Ivory Dune
2011 KATS Angler of the Year
2012 KBF King of Spring
NativeTexan

Postby DirtyMarcus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:56 pm

I had ordered a Smoke a while back after reading reviews on it. I finally got a chance to use it today. My other reels are Curados and I really do like them. But the smoke fits my hand so much better and I was surprised at how light it is. I actually felt like I was going to throw it in the water it was so light. Trimmer is right too, that thing will fling even a lightweight bait clear across the lake. Being used to setting up a curado, it took me a little bit to get the reel dialed in but after that there were no issues. I have the 150 version and I can palm it perfectly. If I decide to buy more reels in the future I think the Smoke is going to be my choice.
DirtyMarcus
Destroyer of catfish

Postby NativeTexan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:13 pm

Don't let Chris hear this! There will be 10 Curados for sale!
Mark Nordstrom - Team Papa Chops
2013 Hobie PA12 Ivory Dune
2012 KBF King of Spring
NativeTexan

Postby ChrisCoufal » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:33 pm

Lol
ChrisCoufal

Postby Clyde » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:27 pm

I had the same experience with the Falcon Original until I switched to Mono and stuck with topwaters and spinnerbaits on it. The mono stretch gives it the softness it needs. I hate that it doesn't have an exposed blank at the index finger. Still not worth the price for what it is, but they nabbed me on the mid-price point. Bastids.
Clyde

Postby ChrisCoufal » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 pm

I bought a Bucoo micro guide rod last week.......and the verdict is: IT"S AMAZING! I've stuck several fish on it the last few trips including that 7lber and it is super light and very sensitive.
ChrisCoufal

Return to Tackle Talk